Tuesday 14 February 2012

I am in Mozambique




My short visit to Maputo Mozambique this week reveals that Mozambicans like to enjoy life to the fullest. I am staying at Rovuma hotel and its looks deserted. Everyone is at the beach.

Look at how the beach is full.

We have clean water with nice beaches in Malawi –Lake Malawi but i have never seen such a big group gathered like this.

I am here to talk about Trachoma: a neglected blinding disease and to agree as a region on what to do about other neglected tropical diseases. Trachoma is an infection of the eye that causes conjunctivitis. Communities with high trachoma infection are prone to the blinding diseases if not treated. Mozambique has trachoma on the Northern Province bordering Malawi but currently nothing is being done. Hence people are getting blind from the diseases every day.

But I am finding it difficult to put my agenda forward, especially when the people I am supposed to be talking to are busy enjoying themselves.

Tomorrow I will go to Manicsa district, not manica.

Should Malawians be enjoying as much?

Comment at : director@bicomalawi.org

Email me!

No comments: